Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oh Wise One!

I was recently given the book, ¨The Art Of Worldly Wisdom,¨ by a client who knows me all too well (thanks Roxanne). The book is a compilation of Baltasar Gracian aphorisms, which according to Merriam-Webster is a concise statement of a principle. An example of a well known aphorism is, "Children should be seen and not heard." One of which I totally agree with...I kid (kinda).

I came across this aphorism and would love to share it with all of you.

"A person who counts: You are not born so, but must strive daily to develop yourself in your person, in your calling until you reach perfection. The fullness of your every gift, of your every faculty, is the goal. You will know it in the improvement of your taste, in the clarification of your thinking, in the maturity of your judgement, in the control of your will. Some never attain perfection, always lacking something; others are late in coming to themselves. The complete person, wise in speech, wise in action, is not just admitted, but welcomed, into that rare fellowship of those who understand."

Now I don't believe in perfection, but I do feel that's what we are all striving to become. My goal in life is to be the BEST me (person) that I can be. Whether it's in our careers, relationships, hobbies, etc. our ultimate goal is to be great at it. I could go on and on about this, but I want to keep y'all coming back. Short, sweet and to the point. Enjoy and ponder!

Peace out,
JE

No comments:

Post a Comment