Monday, May 31, 2010

CATZ VS. CROSSFIT

VS.

I've been wanting to write this blog for a VERY long time, but didn't know how to go about it....or get my point across. Now, with the help of CP (if you need a good analogy, she's your girl), I've got it all figured out.

As some of you may know, I'm a CATZ (Competitive Athlete Training Zone) athlete and a Crossfitter. The main focus of CATZ is sport performance, speed, power, and agility. A basic definition of Crossfit is, "a strength and conditioning fitness methodology that promotes broad and general overall physical fitness (weightlifting, sprinting and gymnastics)."

I have been a member of CATZ Austin for about 3 years and Crossfit Central for about 3 months (prior to crossfit I was just doing kettlebell). Some may ask why both? I say because I consider myself to be a dynamic athlete. CATZ is my weakness. Crossfit is my strength in comparison to CATZ .

Before starting CATZ my body hated moving laterally (side to side), my feet were not quick and I was not agile. Now, I can rock a speed ladder. My feet are quicker. I've got some pretty decent "ups" for a short girl. I'm 10x more powerful than I was 3 years ago. I am totally out of my comfort zone, which is why I will never give it up. I will only become a better athlete if I stay outside my comfort zone.

I came into Crossfit with a gymnastics background, so certain elements are easier for me. I am very comfortable and confident when it comes to pull-ups, handstand push-ups, muscle-ups, ring dips and box jumps. I can execute them, but I've still got a long way...very long way to go before perfecting them. The other side of Crossfit is power lifting, which I find NO comfort in doing. Therefore, I see myself as a long time crossfitter....like forever. I've only been doing crossfit for a short time and have already seen some tremendous strength gains. Not to mention a whole new outlook on food, which will forever be a part of my life.

The next question I get is, "but aren't they competitors." My answer, "yes and no." Here is where CP's great analogy comes in that ties it all together.

CATZ and Crossfit are competitors in the sense that they are like vehicles. They are necessity for everyone. Vehicles provide transportation. CATZ and Crossfit both provide health and fitness. CATZ is like a Porsche. It is built for speed and performance; whereas, Crossfit is like a Range Rover. It can haul heavy things and is able to take on more rugged, extreme terrains. However, both are high quality luxury vehicles.

I am both! Would that be considered a crossover? Anyway, I can haul heavy things, over a rugged terrain, very quickly. Can you?

Peace Out,

BIG J

No comments:

Post a Comment