Monday, March 8, 2010

A Dream of Mine

If I could posses one skill, it would be an ear for music. I would love to be able to pick up the guitar or sit at a piano and just play whatever comes to me. I've taken both piano and guitar lessons, so I can kinda play. However, I want to create sh!t not just play it. If I had that musical talent, I would be a composer; not like in Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, but like Danny Elfman and Mark Motherbaugh. Two current musical geniuses and my music idols.

Motherbaugh is best known for his band DEVO (whip it, whip it real good). However, since then he has created music for video games (The Sims) and cartoons such as: The Rugrats, Beakman's World and Clifford the Big Red Dog. Those don't really appeal to me. I'm not a fan of video games or cartoons. It is his work in movies and one particular TV show (i'll get to later). Mothersbaugh has scored most of Wes Anderson's movies. Mt favorites are The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. It was those 2 movies where I fell in love with his work. Also, two really great movies in general.

It was this song here that stole my heart.

Here is a fun one from Life Aquatic.


Now onto Danny Elfman. He is best known for scoring all of Tim Burton's films. See the connection...Great Directors, Great Composers. A few of my favorites are: BeetleJuice, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and Edward Scissorhands. Great movies, Great scores. Elfman also created the theme for the Simpsons and Desperate Housewives.

Edward Scissorhands

Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Probably best movie of all time, just sayin!


Now for the real kicker. I don't think it's a coincidence that these two happen to be my favorite composers. When I was doing a little research on Elfman and Motherbaugh, I discovered a connection...Pee Wee Herman! I didn't discover this until about 2 weeks ago, and it all made sense. Mark Mothersbaugh composed the theme for Pee Wee's Playhouse the TV show. My favorite TV show when I was a kid. Danny Elfman scored Pee Wee's Big Adventure. My favorite movie as kid. Coincidence? I think not. We are cosmically linked...fate.

I'd like to leave you with this last thing. I hope this brings back some memories. Sarah???? I know you had to sit through many episodes of this with me. :)


Peace Out,

BIG j

1 comment: